10.21.2010

It is a donation...

This is the first time that my older son has participated in a Boy Scout troop that is really well organized. His previous exposure to Scouting was pretty crummy. He actually took a couple of years off because he just wasn't interested in going to Boy Scouts. After moving we decided to really research local troops to find one that had great leadership. We have found one and are absolutely thrilled with the troop. So, now we are selling popcorn and nuts for our troop. Not having been asked to sell them before we had no idea what the going price for these items are. Our prior troops didn't do any fund raising because no one in the troop wanted to bother with it. I have to admit I found the prices for popcorn and nuts to be a bit high until I changed my attitude. I now look at these sales as being a donation to scouting for which I am given a token amount of either nuts or popcorn that I can choose. I like to think of it in that light because there is no way I would ever pay $15.00 for 8 oz of nuts.