10.26.2010

It is all about packaging...

There isn't a parent out there that I have met who hasn't dealt with a picky child at some point. I have sometimes believed that I have the world's pickiest child. It occurred to me this week that I might have been wrong on this point. I have begun experimenting with my son to see what makes him turn his nose up at certain foods. The conclusion is that it isn't the taste of the item but rather the packaging. Having switched to home canning most of our food or making it from scratch has left our family with what can best be described as very generic packaging. It doesn't get much more generic that a mason jar. My youngest son seems to equate the foods he enjoys with the packaging he was once familiar with. I learned this week that he will eat homemade yogurt without an issue if it comes out of a familiar plastic yogurt container. I have to laugh at this but if it gets him to eat nutritious homemade food I am more than happy to wash out and save old containers from store bought food that is reasonable.