3.23.2010

Talk to me.

Our older son is a bright, loving, and amazing young man. He also has a mild form of autism called Asperger's. Over the last couple of years I have come to terms with his quirky personality and realize this is just who he is. There are however times where he concerns me and I don't know what to do. He has a very hard time talking about feelings. For example he refuses to discuss if anything hurts him physically. We just cannot get an answer out of the child, when he clearly doesn't feel well, that allows us to pinpoint specifically what might be wrong. He could go to the bathroom times in a row and insist that everything is fine. I don't know why he is so uncomfortable about talking about how he feels but we are working to make it easier on him. Knowing that this will only get more complicated as he matures is the hardest thing. We have to establish a good groundwork for open communication now or he won't want to tell us anything when he is older.