1.10.2010

Planning the garden.

This summer we are going to make a serious effort to grow a garden. We have a plot reserved with our local conservation district and are trying to figure out what will grow the best. We also want to grow some things in our back yard. One of things I want to try is building my sons a bean tipi in the backyard. It'll essentially be several eight-foot bamboo poles with string strung up and through the poles. I then want to plant beans at the base and let them fill in the tipi as they grow up and out. I'm looking for a bean that's tall, leafy, and, of course, has good beans. I know most gardeners look for minimal space-per-fruit value, but in this case I'd be thrilled with something that fills in quickly. If anyone knows a type of bean that would be great for this please let me know!