1.11.2011

Life like Grandma...

Growing up I spent about 50% of my time at my grandmother's house. It was a happy place to be and I sought out as many reasons as possible to be there as I could. I have to say that I believe the person I am today is a direct result of the time I spent there as a child. It is funny how much I rely on the skills my grandmother taught in the course of my life today. My grandmother was a very self-sufficient woman and had little need for the conveniences of modern life. She taught me to do so many things simply by letting me observe her and help her in the tasks of her daily life. For much of my adult life I put these skills on hold because there just wasn't time for canning, gardening, and sewing when we lived in the big city. My quest for a high powered career didn't leave room for these types of activities. As we have changed our priorities over the last couple of years I have found myself opening my life to so many skills my grandmother taught me. I have to believe that she is looking down from Heaven with more pride in her eyes about my full pantry than she ever did my collegiate adventures.