3.16.2010

Planning my canning.

This year I am planning on putting "by" most of our food. I love the idea of having a hands on experience with our food. It seems like it will be a good experience for the entire family to learn not only how to grow our food but also how to store it. My children love the idea of having a garden and also going to local farms to buy additional food. As a child my mother always canned tons of food and I never thought anything of it. When my son saw home canned food for the first time he was completely intrigued by it. It kind of caught me by surprise and gave me food for thought. Our children are growing up completely disconnected from their food. It is so weird for a former farmer's daughter to to realize that unless I make changes my children will have no concept of what growing a garden or farming is all about.