10.20.2011

Homemade dish soap.

I have been on a kick for a while to learn how to make everything imaginable myself. Today things were a bit slower and I decided to make a batch of homemade liquid dish soap. I have been unhappy with the price and performance of the dish soap I have been buying at the market. Today I made a gallon of dish soap for around $1.00.

This soap is essentially a bar of Colgate Octagon soap, a tablespoon of borax, and a bit of washing soda that has been grated and melted on the stove top with a couple cups of water. It is then added to a gallon jug that is almost full of water. In that water I added a 1/4 cup lemon juice and a tablespoon of glycerin. The entire recipe is then mixed together in the jug and allowed to cure overnight. I have yet to try it but I will keep you posted!