2.24.2011

Differing opinions...

For about 4 years we went to church every single Sunday. We even became members of the church. While we attended that church I wanted to believe that we would ultimately feel like we "fit in". The reality was that we never really felt that way. I know that church shouldn't be about fitting in but I do feel like you need to feel comfortable with the people you are around. It wasn't until the last year that we went to that church that I was able to put my finger on why I didn't feel like I fit in. Everyone we were surrounded by was wealthy...extremely wealth by our standards. We had every bit the education they did and likely more but we were not in the same income bracket. I found myself having a hard time praying for whether someone should purchase a second home or about the warranty on their $2,000 kitchen sink. I also found myself feeling angry when the assumption was made that we all held the same political views. I like to think that I can still think for myself and not have my opinions dictated to me by someone at church...I might be wrong on it all but I would like to think God doesn't expect us to be clones of one another.