11.18.2010

I am not ready...

My son is going on a camping trip this weekend. I am going to admit here and now that I don't want him to go. The trip was supposed to include my husband but it is now not going to include him. My husband understood that my son's scout troop require parents to attend these trips but apparently they do not. We are apparently going to let him go on the trip but I am just not ready. He is 10.5 years old and has not spent a night away from home with anyone other than his grandparents. I cannot help but let the news headlines of the world run through my head when it comes to handing my son over to other people. I know the only thing you are thinking is that I am one of those hyper vigilant overprotective parents. I suppose there is some truth in that but my son is also not exactly a mature 10.5 year old.