1. Assemble all of the cleaning supplies and tools you need.
2. Make a list -- either mental or written -- of what you want to accomplish. Are you going to clean all of the light plates, windows and hard surfaces, or tackle the drapes and floors?
3. If you are the type who likes to clean your home one room at a time, the rule is: Don't leave until you are done! That means you bring all of the cleaning supplies with you, plus several bags or boxes marked "trash," "store away," "goes to another room," and "give away."
4. Work from the top down, inside to outside, to avoid getting what you just cleaned dirty again. Be sure to hit those window blinds because a build up of dust has surely accumulated!
5. Do one room, even one area of one room, at a time to avoid unfinished jobs. The satisfaction of seeing one room sparkle will make the hard work feel like it's worth the effort.
6. When tidying, reduce trips around the house by temporarily depositing items in one spot en route to but not at their final destination.