Any parent will tell you one of the biggest challenges about making meals is finding something the entire family loves. While conceding to your children's every like or dislike is not a great way to run a house finding a middle ground is. These are a couple of kid friendly recipes to try out on your gang:
Asian Flavor Meal
8 ounces udon noodles
1 carrot, peeled and cut into thin diagonal slices
1 cup frozen shelled edamame (frozen shelled soybeans)
1 cup fresh snap peas, trimmed and cut in half
1 cup broccoli
1 cup cauliflower
1 (14 ounces) can Chinese baby cocktail corn, drained and cut in half (or frozen sweet corn)
Sesame oil, to taste (optional)
2 cups chicken broth
1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
2 1/2 tablespoons mirin (Japanese rice wine)
1 piece (2 inches) fresh ginger, sliced in half
1 pound boneless chicken tenders, cut in half
Freshly ground black pepper
1. Bring a large pot of water to boil, add the pasta, stir and bring back to a boil. Continue to boil uncovered, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes. Add the broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, and edamame. Continue to cook for another 3 minutes. Stir in the snap peas and baby corn and continue to boil for one more minute or until the pasta is al dente.
2. Meanwhile, make the Asian broth by combining chicken broth, soy sauce, mirin, and ginger in a saucepan over medium high heat. Bring to a simmer and add the chicken, cook for 4 minutes or until the chicken is no longer pink. Add freshly ground black pepper to taste. Remove and discard the ginger pieces.
3. Drain, and return pasta to the pot. Toss with Asian broth and ladle into serving bowls. Add a few drops of the sesame oil to each bowl (optional) for added flavor.
Lasagna In One Skillet
1 1/4 cups ricotta
1/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
1 pound lean ground beef
1 medium zucchini, diced (about 1 cup)
1 (26-ounce) jar pasta sauce
6 oven-ready lasagna noodles
1. In a medium bowl, mix together the ricotta, water, salt, Parmesan, and 1/2 cup of the mozzarella. Set the mixture aside.
2. Brown the beef in a large skillet set over medium-high heat until it's no longer pink, about 5 minutes, breaking up any clumps with a wooden spoon. Drain any fat, if needed. Add the zucchini. Stir in 2 cups of the pasta sauce. Reduce the heat to medium-low.
3. Top the mixture with 2 lasagna noodles, set in the center. Break 2 more noodles into medium-size pieces and fill in the edges. Gently spread the cheese mixture over the noodles. (The noodles may begin to curl in the skillet, but the cheeses will hold them down.) Lay on the 2 remaining noodles. Pour the rest of the sauce into the skillet and spread it evenly, then sprinkle on the remaining cup of mozzarella.
4. Cover the skillet and simmer the lasagna over medium-low heat until the noodles are tender, about 20 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat and let the lasagna cool for 5 minutes. Cut the lasagna into squares and serve. Makes 6 servings.